db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Robert DiPietro <Robert.DiPie...@accelrys.com>
Subject AZQRE: Authentication and passwords in derby.properties
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2012 20:06:12 GMT
Thanks for your response Kristian.

Following your ij session... it works and access to the 'mdb' instance is restricted to the
'mdb' database user. But someone can then still run ij and create other databases and users.
This is what I am trying to avoid.

I was hoping there was a way to do this without having a system level username/password defined
in derby.properties in plain text.

So is that possible?

Thanks again,

Rob DiPietro

-----Original Message-----
From: Kristian Waagan [mailto:kristian.waagan@oracle.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 1:52 AM
To: derby-user@db.apache.org
Subject: Re: Authentication and passwords in derby.properties

On 16.01.12 16:05, Robert DiPietro wrote:
> Hi Knut,
>
> Thanks for your response. I tried setting the properties with derby completely lowercase
and still don't seem to be having much luck with what I am trying to do.

> I have tried this a few different ways. Let me try to step through what I'm doing (and
trying to do) and maybe you'll catch where I am going wrong:

> Here's what my derby.properties looks like (with auth disabled and the system level user
disabled).

> #derby.connection.requireAuthentication=true
> #derby.authentication.provider=BUILTIN
> #derby.user.adminuser=adminpass
> derby.drda.portNumber=9947
> derby.drda.host=0.0.0.0
> derby.infolog.append=true
> derby.stream.error.file=C:/logs/javaserver_derby.log
>
> We have Derby running inside of a Tomcat process/service. I use RazorSQL as my interface
to Derby.

> So today I tried:
>
> 1. Create database/user via the connection string:
> jdbc:derby://localhost:9947/mdb;create=true;user=mdb;password=mdb
> without specifying a username/password in the RazorSQL connection profile. This works.
>
> 2. Modify the profile to use the mdb user/pass and remove the connection string parameters
and connect. This works.

> 3. Issue the following to Derby while logged in as MasterDB:
>
> CALL
> SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_SET_DATABASE_PROPERTY('derby.database.propertiesOnly'
> ,'true'); CALL
> SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_SET_DATABASE_PROPERTY('derby.connection.requireAuthen
> tication', 'true'); CALL
> SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_SET_DATABASE_PROPERTY('derby.authentication.provider'
> , 'BUILTIN');
>
> This works, and I can still log in.

Hi,

When I perform the above steps, I'm not able to log into the database at all.
If I additionally do
   CALL SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_SET_DATABASE_PROPERTY('derby.user.mdb', 'mdb'); , I can only connect
with that user/pass.

Here's from the ij session:
ij> connect 'jdbc:derby:mdb;create=true;user=mdb;password=mdb';

ij> CALL
SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_SET_DATABASE_PROPERTY('derby.database.propertiesOnly','true');

0 rows inserted/updated/deleted
ij> CALL
SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_SET_DATABASE_PROPERTY('derby.connection.requireAuthentication',
'true');
0 rows inserted/updated/deleted
ij> CALL
SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_SET_DATABASE_PROPERTY('derby.authentication.provider',
'BUILTIN');
0 rows inserted/updated/deleted
ij> CALL SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_SET_DATABASE_PROPERTY('derby.user.mdb',
'mdb');
0 rows inserted/updated/deleted
ij> disconnect;

ij> connect 'jdbc:derby:mdb;shutdown=true;user=mdb;password=mdb';

ERROR 08006: Database 'mdb' shutdown.
ij> connect 'jdbc:derby:mdb';
ERROR 08004: Connection authentication failure occurred.  Reason:
Invalid authentication..
ij> connect 'jdbc:derby:mdb;user=mdb;password=incorrect';
ERROR 08004: Connection authentication failure occurred.  Reason:
Invalid authentication..
ij> connect 'jdbc:derby:mdb;user=mdb;password=mdb';
ij> disconnect;
ij> connect 'jdbc:derby:mdb;shutdown=true';
ERROR 08004: Connection authentication failure occurred.  Reason:
Invalid authentication..
ij> connect 'jdbc:derby:mdb;shutdown=true;user=mdb;password=mdb';
ERROR 08006: Database 'mdb' shutdown.
ij>

When using the BUILTIN scheme, users defined in derby.properties are
system-wide, whereas users defined as database properties are specific
to that database.

Regards,
--
Kristian

> *However* what I want at this point is for no one else to be able to log in access this
database or issue commands to Derby besides the "mdb" user that I created. My thought was
to I enable authentication in derby.properties. However this then disallows access to the
"mdb" user (I assume because the settings in derby.properies supercede the database level
properties).

> So either I am doing something wrong, or what I want to do is not possible in Derby.
>
> Can I have a single database user that can log in and act against a single database schema
without having a user declared in derby.properties in plain text. And can I deny access to
Derby/schema to everyone else? If this is possible, can someone walk me through the steps
to accomplish it.

> Thanks,
>
> Rob DiPietro

as expected if you change the case of the initial letter?