db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Katherine Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: corrupt database
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2012 16:54:59 GMT
On 1/27/2012 8:48 AM, Dag H. Wanvik wrote:
> Mojo Nixon<steve.b.ferguson@gmail.com>  writes:
>
>> I am no derby expert, but I have done the following before, with good
>> results. Make a backup copy of all the database files, in case it doesn't
>> work. Then delete the files in the log directory and try to boot the
>> database. You might lose some transactions, but should be able to open the
>> database again.
> If you do this there is no guarantee the database is in a transactionally
> consistent state: some transactions may be half persisted, so do this at
> your own risk, and vet the data after.

The only times I have ever done this I have only done so to salvage data
and create a new database using dblook and import/export or something
like Ddlutils. Then throw the one intentionally corrupted by deleting
the log files away.   Don't use that one in production as you could end
up with things like partial large objects etc that are not caught on a
consistency check, but show up during usage.