db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Katherine Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: DB2 9.7 Connection with Apache Derby - on Windows 7 64-bit doesn’t work
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2012 23:39:33 GMT
On 1/26/2012 1:17 PM, Moni567 wrote:
> Kristian Waagan-2 wrote:
>> I'm afraid the short answer is that the DB2 drivers and Apache Derby
>> aren't compatible any more (I don't remember when this broke, or when
>> testing against DB2 drivers were abandoned).
>> Other who have more experience with DB2 drivers may be able to provide
>> more input, but if you upgrade Derby the DB2 drivers are likely to stop
>> working altogheter. The same may be true if you upgrade DB2 too.
> I read about the incompatibility of newer Apache Derby Versions with DB2.
> Strangely enough, I spoke with a person, who successfully uses Apache Derby
> - and DB2 9.7 on Windows 7 64-bit. He didn't do some extra
> configuration and it works fine for him. I can't find the failure on my
> system or differences between our setups.
The first and last release where  IBM supported DB2 Runtime client with
Derby  was 10.1 and that combination is long out of service.   There is
no intention of ever reviving it and any thing that happens to have
worked since then have been only luck.  Surely they are completely
broken now with 10.8 as we have heard recent reports to that on the
list. I filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-5565 to have
network server reject all non-Derby clients to make this more clear and
avoid further confusion and people going down this dead end path.

As for other ODBC solutions for Derby I don't know.  If there is a good
ODBC to JDBC bridge then maybe that would work with embedded too which
would be ideal.  There is one listed on the UsesOfDerby page at
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/UsesOfDerby under ODBC Drivers. I
removed the DRDA ones that don't claim any support of Derby.

Sorry I don't have better news.

View raw message