db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: derby 10.8.2.2 with sequences and currentvalue
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2012 16:15:16 GMT
On 1/24/12 7:42 AM, squidy78 wrote:
> Thanks for your reply, your solution is an option we could use, but we
> would like to use a sql script only and not java code.
>
> Do you have a sql-only-solution?
If your application is single-threaded (which would support
nextval/currval usage), then the insert into the foreign table could
look like this:

INSERT INTO t_text (id, text, typeid) VALUES (next value FOR seq_text,
'first text', (SELECT max( id ) FROM t_type ));
> Is there something planned to implement in next derby versions like
> it's implemented in H2 (nextval/currval)?
I'm not familiar with H2's system functions, but a quick glance at H2's
online documentation suggests that you can write corresponding Derby
functions today. Your nextval() function would wrap a call to NEXT VALUE
FOR and would remember the result in a static variable for use by the
next call to currval(). See the section on CREATE FUNCTION in the Derby
Reference Guide: http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.8/ref/

Hope this helps,
-Rick