db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Mojo Nixon <steve.b.fergu...@gmail.com>
Subject Really Strange Database Corruption. Help!
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2012 14:47:10 GMT

I recently received a database from a user. They said they were viewing a
record in the application, and went back to open it a bit later and the
record was gone. In the database the record is indeed gone, but when I look
at the table .dat file in a binary editor, I can see the record information!

So I have the following questions:
 - How could this happen? The table is corrupt, but the database continues
to function?
 - Is there any way to get the record back?
 - Are there any derby tools for this sort of forensic recovery of records,
like some low level tools that can read and dump what is in a single dat
file?
 - Could it just be an issue of the record being deleted? They insist they
did not, but you know users...

Thanks for any advice.