db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Moni567 <m_pfaef...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: DB2 9.7 Connection with Apache Derby - 10.5.3.1 on Windows 7 64-bit doesn’t work
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2012 21:17:45 GMT

Kristian Waagan-2 wrote:

> I'm afraid the short answer is that the DB2 drivers and Apache Derby
> aren't compatible any more (I don't remember when this broke, or when
> testing against DB2 drivers were abandoned).
> Other who have more experience with DB2 drivers may be able to provide
> more input, but if you upgrade Derby the DB2 drivers are likely to stop
> working altogheter. The same may be true if you upgrade DB2 too.

I read about the incompatibility of newer Apache Derby Versions with DB2.
Strangely enough, I spoke with a person, who successfully uses Apache Derby
- 10.5.3.1 and DB2 9.7 on Windows 7 64-bit. He didn't do some extra
configuration and it works fine for him. I can't find the failure on my
system or differences between our setups.

Kristian Waagan-2 wrote:

> For the community it may be helpful to know for what purpose you are
> using the DB2 drivers with Derby.

Sorry, I should have describe it at my first post. I try to use Apache Derby
as a data source for Excel files. My plan was to first establish the ODBC
Connection with the help of DB2 and then query Apache Derby from Excel. It
seemed like an easy way without writing any additional lines of code.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work with Windows 7 64 bit.
I tried different types of DB2 Clients and Drivers from 8.2 to 9.7, but
Apache Derby - 10.5.3.1 didn't connect with any of them. However, I
successfully managed to query db2 from Excel with the established ODBC
Connection.

I came to the conclusion that it couldn't be Excel 2010 because the .xlsx
format works on Windows XP and with DB2 on Windows 7 64-bit. Additionally,
the DB2 connection works on Windows XP with Apache Derby and on Windows 7
with Excel only. Therefore, I think Apache Derby - 10.5.3.1 has a problem
with DB2 ODBC connection on Windows 7 64-bit.

Thank you,
Moni