db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: German Sharp S and UCASE
Date Thu, 08 Dec 2011 14:35:54 GMT
On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 4:21 AM,  <dbuser123@kaffeeschluerfer.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use UCASE to "normalize" different case variants of text field values.
There's just a little problem. It works fine for all normal characters including German umlauts
(Ä, Ö, Ü, ä, ö, ü) ...

> ==vv= COPIED FROM IJ CONSOLE =vv==
> ij> VALUES UCASE('ÜbErSeTzUnG');
> 1
> -----------
> ÜBERSETZUNG
>
> 1 Zeile ausgewählt
> ==================================
>

> ... but it seems to cause trouble with the "German Sharp S": ß
> (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharp_S)
>

> ==vv= COPIED FROM IJ CONSOLE =vv==
> ij> VALUES UCASE('Straßenbahn');
> 1
> -----------
> STRASSENBA&
>
> 1 Zeile ausgewählt
> ==================================
>

> It correctly (!) replaces "ß" by "SS" but then it truncates the resulting string, thereby
appending an ampersand "&".

> How can I make it return the complete, correct result "STRASSENBAHN"?
> (Which, by the way, means "streetcar". ;-))
>

> My DERBY_OPTS look like this:
> DERBY_OPTS=-Dderby.ui.locale=de_DE -Dderby.ui.codeset=Cp850
>

> Many thanks in advance for your help!
>
> --
> NEU: FreePhone - 0ct/min Handyspartarif mit Geld-zurück-Garantie!

Hi,

The value is likely returned correctly, but you're hitting the maximum
display width for columns in ij.
This is controlled by the property ij.maximumDisplayWidth, and you can
also set it during your ij session using maximumDisplayWidth.
I think the default is 10.

This is documented in the Derby Tools and Utilities Guide, for
instance for the latest alpha manuals:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/tools/tools-single.html

Myrna