db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Danny Gallagher <DGallag...@pathfire.com>
Subject RE: dash in a varchar column - effect on select statement
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2011 20:47:42 GMT
Rick,

Thanks for the point in the collation direction.

If I recreate the database with TERRITORY_BASED:SECONDARY

I get the behavior I want (at least as much as I've tested)  the documentation gives an example
about accented letters being considered equal under PRIMARY and not under SECONDARY.
Also states ' The exact interpretation of the strength part of the attribute depends upon
the locale.'

Which doesn't really give me a warm and fuzzy, but looks like the way I'll go, because I need
to keep the case part.

Again, thanks for the reply.  Cheers!

Danny

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Hillegas [mailto:rick.hillegas@oracle.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 3:18 PM
To: derby-user@db.apache.org
Subject: Re: dash in a varchar column - effect on select statement

Hi Danny,

I can reproduce your results if I create the database with collation=TERRITORY_BASED:PRIMARY.
I am not an expert on the behavior of this collation. However, I see that this issue came
up last year on derby-user in this thread:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.db.derby.user/12851

Hope this helps,
-Rick

On 12/6/11 9:10 AM, Danny Gallagher wrote:
> Actually yes, I am using a collation: TERRITORY_BASED:PRIMARY.   In this specific case
would be en_US

> Which from my understanding and reading of the documentation should effect case, not
the existence or nonexistence of characters.

> Thanks,
>
> Danny

you using a special collation in this database?