db-derby-user mailing list archives

From JulioSerje <jse...@gmail.com>
Subject UPDATE FROM JOIN
Date Fri, 16 Dec 2011 21:42:01 GMT

Is there any way to implement an update using a JOIN?  The reference manual
only allows for one table to be updated:

UPDATE table-Name [[AS] correlation-Name]
  SET column-Name = Value
  [ , column-Name = Value} ]*
  [WHERE clause]

We have an application where need to run many queries like:

update t1  set t1.a=t2.b, t1.c=t2.d,...t1.x=(t2.a+t2.b/t2.y)
       from Table1 t1 join Table2 t2 on t1.k=t2.k
       where t1.x=1  and t2.y=2

We offer support on our app to most data platforms (Oracle, MySql,
SQLServer, PostgreSQL, SQLite, even Access..) and in all of them there is a
way of doing this...

Is this something missing in Derby?

Any ideas highly appreciated.