db-derby-user mailing list archives

From dbuser...@kaffeeschluerfer.com
Subject German Sharp S and UCASE
Date Thu, 08 Dec 2011 12:21:18 GMT
Hello,

I'm trying to use UCASE to "normalize" different case variants of text field values. There's
just a little problem. It works fine for all normal characters including German umlauts (Ä,
Ö, Ü, ä, ö, ü) ...

==vv= COPIED FROM IJ CONSOLE =vv==
ij> VALUES UCASE('ÜbErSeTzUnG');
1
-----------
ÜBERSETZUNG

1 Zeile ausgewählt
==================================

... but it seems to cause trouble with the "German Sharp S": ß
(See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharp_S)

==vv= COPIED FROM IJ CONSOLE =vv==
ij> VALUES UCASE('Straßenbahn');
1
-----------
STRASSENBA&

1 Zeile ausgewählt

It correctly (!) replaces "ß" by "SS" but then it truncates the resulting string, thereby
appending an ampersand "&".

How can I make it return the complete, correct result "STRASSENBAHN"?
(Which, by the way, means "streetcar". ;-))

My DERBY_OPTS look like this:
DERBY_OPTS=-Dderby.ui.locale=de_DE -Dderby.ui.codeset=Cp850

Many thanks in advance for your help!