db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Katherine Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Live backup - best practice?
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2011 18:36:02 GMT
On 11/18/2011 8:42 AM, Spezifikum wrote:
> Sorry. I just found the relevant parts quite well documented in the
> administration guide. The best solution would be to build something
> around "SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_BACKUP_DATABASE".

Thank you for thinking about backups and backing up the right way!
Incorrect backup/restore procedures for example relying on a system
backup while the database is active, relying on incremental backups or
often no backup at all is often the first chapter and the final epitaph
of most corrupt Derby database tragedies.

One thing that I think would be good to add to our documentation is the
suggestion to run SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_CHECK_TABLE  on all the tables of the
database before backing up as sometimes I also see cases

I would be interested to hear your feedback and that from others in the
community on the backup documentation and maybe we can log a Jira to
improve it.  Perhaps there should be a reference about backing up in the
Developer's guide as typically the Derby backup needs to be incorporated
into the backup procedures of the embedding application.

Here are the relevant doc references.  Please send feedback on improvements.

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.8/adminguide/cadminbckupdb.html
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.8/adminguide/radminconsist24642.html

Thanks

Kathey