db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Spezifikum <i...@spezifikum.com>
Subject Live backup - best practice?
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2011 16:30:46 GMT
Hi,
i am quite sure that this question was already asked more than once, but
i can't find valuable information.
I have a servlet using Apache Derby embedded as a DB backend and have to
make daily backups. I can not shut down the entire DB or servlet, so my
plan would be to lock the tables and do something like "select into
outfile" if possible.
Is that a good idea?
I expect the database to grow by 50MB per Year, possibly less, but no
more than 100MB. It is running on quite powerfull hardware (quad-core,
4GB RAM) and i have a several hours time to do a backup (from 2 to 5 o
clock). So performance is not the problem but consistency.

Thanks a lot for any comments in advance
M. Müller