db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: R-Tree
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2011 13:34:00 GMT
On 11/13/11 2:14 PM, dag.wanvik@oracle.com wrote:
> Karl Weber<karl.weber99@googlemail.com>  writes:
>
>> Is there a way to use an R-Tree with derby db? (Or a GiST?)
>>
>> In [1] R-Trees are mentioned on page 55. Is it possible to add one's own
>> implementation on top of derby, if it is not added to derby? How would one do
>> this?
> This would be a non-trivial amount of work. Derby currently uses B-tree
> indexes only. Although the code is fairly well modularized, I suspect
> assumptions about B-tree indexes pervade more code than the optimizer.
>
> Thanks,
> Dag
>
>> /Karl
>>
>> [1] http://db.apache.org/derby/binaries/ApacheDerbyInternals_1_1.pdf
Hi Karl,

As Dag noted, this would be a great addition to Derby but a non-trivial
effort. The topic has come up before, as you can see from the email
threads linked from https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-3670.
You may get useful advice from the other contributors mentioned in those
emails.

Thanks,
-Rick