db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_INPLACE_COMPRESS_TABLE question
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2011 14:43:07 GMT
On 10/27/2011 09:26 PM, Sundar Narayanaswamy wrote:
> I insert 10000 rows into the table, then delete all that rows. I then call SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_INPLACE_COMPRESS_TABLE
> with just the option to purge rows so that the space left behind by deleted rows can
be reused for future inserts. I have
> the inserts, deletes and compress in a loop. After running through the loop a few times,
I am noticing that the
> number of allocated and unfilled pages for the primary key keeps growing (causing database
size to grow over time). The
> longer I run the loop, larger these numbers are. That does not happen for the table or
the index files though..

This seems like incorrect behavior to me; I think all the space should
be reclaimed. I think you should open a job in JIRA and provide your
test program so the developers can have a look at the behavior and try
to understand what is doing on.

http://db.apache.org/derby/DerbyBugGuidelines.html

thanks,

bryan