db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: trouble with ipv6 connection
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2011 14:47:08 GMT
On 9/22/2011 3:37 AM, José Ventura wrote:
> (The mailing list seems to have rejected my message, trying again without URL).
>
> Not a solution to your problem, but binding to 0.0.0.0 will make the
> server listen on all IPv4 interfaces/addresses, not IPv6 ones. To make
> it listen on all IPv6 interfaces/addresses you need to specify :: (two
> colons) as the bind address.
Thanks for this information. I don't think our documentation mentions
this.  I will give it a try and make sure it works and if so file a doc
issue.

> There might be ways to make it listen to all interfaces of both kinds,
> see question 21657 on serverfault(dot)com.
>
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 5:36 PM, Kathey Marsden
> <kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net>  wrote:
>> I am having some trouble making a NetworkServer IPv6 connection and think it
>> may be a user error or machine configuration issue, but am not sure what
>> that might be.
>>
>> I have two dual stack IPv6/IPv4 machines running Linux.
>>
>>   - If I start the server listening on the IPv6 hostname and try to connect
>> from the second machine, I get the permission denied error below.  I think
>> this connection attempt is never actually reaching my running Network
>> Server, but is being blocked somehow at the machine level.  If it were
>> windows I would blame the firewall software.
>>

>> ij>  connect
>> 'jdbc:derby://<myipv6serverhostname>:1527/mydb;user=user2;password=pass2;create=true';
>> ERROR 08001: java.net.SocketException : Error connecting to server
>> wicopt1-v6.rtp.raleigh.ibm.com on port 1527 with message Permission denied.
I reported this problem to the administrator of the machine and she
fixed it saying it was related to ipv6tables.  I am hoping to get more
details, but thought I would post that much here now in case someone
hits the same issue and is looking for  a hint.

Kathey