db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Karl Weber <karl.webe...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Database size larger than expected
Date Sat, 22 Oct 2011 08:49:20 GMT
Hi Mike,

Am Samstag, 22. Oktober 2011, 00:24:06 schrieb Mike Matrigali:
> There are a number of factors:

[...]
> 3) Each record has overhead and each field has overhead that is variable.

Could you elaborate a litte bit more on that? I already asked about this some
while ago [1], in particular with reference to the article in [2].
Unfortunately I posted my original question to the wrong list, according to
[2] I should have posted it to derby-dev, not to derby-user.

It would be really great if one could estimate the space requirements on disk
for a given table or index.

The other points you mentioned are also interesting. Do you think they could
be added to [2]? Perhaps a particular example might also help to unterstand
[2] a little bit better?

[1] http://old.nabble.com/Space-requirements-on-disk-to32618327.html

[2] http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/pageformats.html