Derby only allows one instance *of the database software* (RDBMS) to open the files in a directory at a time.†According to the error you received, there already is an instance of the RDBMS open on†c:/Program
Files/IBM/Director/database (probably started by an embedded connection in IBM Director).

Even if you use Derby Network Server, you will still be limited to one instance *of the database software*, however this instance will accept connections from any number of *clients*.

I think what you want to do is stop IBM Director, then start Derby Network Server upon that directory, then configure IBM Director to use a client connection instead of an embedded connection. That way, both Director and other clients (such as razorSQL) will be able to connect, read and write data to the database.

- Josť