db-derby-user mailing list archives

From José Ventura <st.ne...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Move from embedded to network server
Date Sat, 10 Sep 2011 09:30:41 GMT
Derby only allows one instance *of the database software* (RDBMS) to open
the files in a directory at a time. According to the error you received,
there already is an instance of the RDBMS open on c:/Program
Files/IBM/Director/database (probably started by an embedded connection in
IBM Director).

Even if you use Derby Network Server, you will still be limited to one
instance *of the database software*, however this instance will accept
connections from any number of *clients*.

I think what you want to do is stop IBM Director, then start Derby Network
Server upon that directory, then configure IBM Director to use a client
connection instead of an embedded connection. That way, both Director and
other clients (such as razorSQL) will be able to connect, read and write
data to the database.

- José