db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject trouble with ipv6 connection
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2011 20:36:33 GMT
I am having some trouble making a NetworkServer IPv6 connection and
think it may be a user error or machine configuration issue, but am not
sure what that might be.

I have two dual stack IPv6/IPv4 machines running Linux.

  - If I start the server listening on the IPv6 hostname and try to
connect from the second machine, I get the permission denied error
below.  I think this connection attempt is never actually reaching my
running Network Server, but is being blocked somehow at the machine
level.  If it were windows I would blame the firewall software.

ij> connect
'jdbc:derby://<myipv6serverhostname>:1527/mydb;user=user2;password=pass2;create=true';
ERROR 08001: java.net.SocketException : Error connecting to server
wicopt1-v6.rtp.raleigh.ibm.com on port 1527 with message Permission denied.
java.sql.SQLNonTransientConnectionException: java.net.SocketException :
Error connecting to server wicopt1-v6.rtp.raleigh.ibm.com on port 1527
with me
ssage Permission denied.
         at
org.apache.derby.client.am.SQLExceptionFactory40.getSQLException(Unknown
Source)
         at
org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
         at org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver.connect(Unknown Source)
         at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:322)
         at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:297)
         at org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.ij.dynamicConnection(Unknown
Source)
         at org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.ij.ConnectStatement(Unknown
Source)
         at org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.ij.ijStatement(Unknown Source)
         at
org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.utilMain.runScriptGuts(Unknown Source)
         at org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.utilMain.go(Unknown Source)
         at org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.Main.go(Unknown Source)
         at org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.Main.mainCore(Unknown Source)
         at org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.Main.main(Unknown Source)
         at org.apache.derby.tools.ij.main(Unknown Source)
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.DisconnectException:
java.net.SocketException : Error connecting to server
wicopt1-v6.rtp.raleigh.ibm.com on por
t 1527 with message Permission denied.
         at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetAgent.<init>(Unknown Source)
         at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetConnection.newAgent_(Unknown
Source)
         at org.apache.derby.client.am.Connection.<init>(Unknown Source)
         at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetConnection.<init>(Unknown Source)
         at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetConnection40.<init>(Unknown
Source)
         at
org.apache.derby.client.net.ClientJDBCObjectFactoryImpl40.newNetConnection(Unknown
Source)
         ... 12 more
Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Permission denied
         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:383)
         at
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:245)
         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:232)
         at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:377)
         at
javax.net.DefaultSocketFactory.createSocket(SocketFactory.java:1)
         at org.apache.derby.client.net.OpenSocketAction.run(Unknown Source)
         at
java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:251)

I started the server like:
java  -Dderby.drda.logconnections=true
org.apache.derby.drda.NetworkServerContro
l start -noSecurityManager -h <myipv6serverhostname>

(I tried also with the options at
:http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.2/adminguide/tadminconfigipx.html
but still no luck).

A few more data points.
  - I can connect to the IPv6 server if I connect from the IPv4 shell of
the same machine.
- If I start the server specifying the IPv4 hostname I can connect from
the second machine.
- If I start the server with hostname 0.0.0.0 I can connect to the IPv4
hostname but not the IPv6 one.
- I can successfully ping6 the IPv6 server hostname from the second machine.

Any idea what might cause this?  In the past for IPv6 testing I have
only had access to one machine on the local network so had tested
connecting to the IPv6 server, only from the IPv6 and IPv4 shells of the
same machine.

Thanks for any ideas.

Kathey