db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Paul French <paul.fre...@kirona.com>
Subject derby 10.5.1 - embedded - crash recovery and logging
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2011 11:26:50 GMT
Hello All,

we have an issue where derby takes a long time to startup. Anything from
minutes to hours.

We are running derby on J9 on a windows mobile 6.5

It seems to be due to the fact that devices are being powered off and so
derby is not shutdown cleanly.

Question is, what is derby doing to recover? Why so long? Even when we
start the application cleanly, do nothing, power off the device and then
on again, it can take a very long time to make the first database
connection vie the embedded driver.

The derby.log has no useful information in it like "performing crash
recovery". Can we configure additional logging to prove the exact
problem we are hitting?

Many thanks in advance

Paul