I have some experience using Apache Derby. I can't remember exactly what was the issue I found in my project. It worked on DEV but not in PRD. I fixed it using derby.properties file.

Do some research and take a look a derby.properties file:

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/devguide/cdevdvlp39943.html

Max