Duh.  That certainly looks like it would be the problem.  It had to be something pretty gross and stupid.  That will lead me to a better place on deployment.  I'll deploy a derby.jar alongside mine and reference it there instead of being dependent on some separate installation.

Thank you all for your patience and kind attention.  Sorry to have bothered you.

From: "Rick Hillegas" <rick.hillegas@oracle.com>
To: "Derby Discussion" <derby-user@db.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 9, 2011 11:16:06 AM
Subject: Re: Can't Load Embedded Driver

On 8/9/11 7:50 AM, Bryan Pendleton wrote:
>> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\java.exe -splash:EMsplash.jpg -jar "C:\Program
>> Files\ElectionManager\EMServer.jar"
>
> Not sure if this is the problem, but I believe that if you use '-jar' on
> your command line, then CLASSPATH is ignored, and ALL the classes have to
> come from the jar, right?
>
> thanks,
>
> bryan

That agrees with the description of "java -jar" here:
http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/windows/java.html

The jar file manifest needs to have a Class-Path attribute which lists
the whole classpath for the application. See
http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/deployment/jar/downman.html

Hope this helps,
-Rick