db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <kristian.waa...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Bug report for Apache Derby 10.4.x and onwards
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 10:50:52 GMT
On 12.08.11 11:41, srgrocks wrote:
> Hello Apache Derby team ,
>
> This is to bring to your kind attention the fact that Apache Derby
> 10.6.2.1 , the version I am using is giving a error on using the ON
> UPDATE CASCADE statement .

Hello,

ON UPDATE CASCADE is not supported for foreign keys.
 From the Reference Manual under CREATE TABLE statement:
----
Foreign keys

If the generated column is part of a foreign key that references another
table, the referential action must not specify SET NULL or SET DEFAULT,
and the update rule must not specify ON UPDATE CASCADE.
----

I'm not sure if the documentation is accurate - I don't think ON UPDATE
CASCADE works even if no generated column is used.

To increase the chances of getting this feature implemented, you can
pick up or vote on DERBY-735 [1].

Regards,
--
Kristian

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-735

> Here is the SQL statement in Java DB
>
> create table "book"
> (
> Booking_ID varchar(255) primary key,
> Customer_ID varchar(255) references "customer" *ON UPDATE CASCADE* ON
> DELETE CASCADE,
> Hotel_ID varchar(255) references "hotel" ON UPDATE CASCADE ON DELETE
> CASCADE,
> Date_Of_Booking varchar(255),
> Check_In_Date varchar(255),
> Check_Out_Date varchar(255),
> No_Of_Rooms_Booked int ,
> Total_Price varchar(255),
> Status varchar(255)
> )
>
> The bug thrown is :
>
> Error code -1, SQL state 42X01: Syntax error: Encountered "CASCADE" at
> line 4, column 58.
> Line 1, column 1

< snip >