db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can't Load Embedded Driver
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2011 13:32:38 GMT
> the call "jdbc:derby:EMDatabase;create=true"is not a valid call to embedded driver. It
is a call to a derby server
> correct url should be ( as far as I know) "jdbc:derby:<path to database>;create=true"

No, the server-style URL always has the double slash after the derby:, as in:

     jdbc:derby://my.host:NNNN/dbname

The URL

     jdbc:derby:EMDatabase;create=true

is a valid call to the embedded driver to reference a database named EMDatabase
which is located *relative* to derby.system.home.

If the <path to database> portion starts with a leading (single) slash, it is an
absolute path name in the filesystem; if it does NOT start with a leading slash,
it is a relative path name, interpreted relative to derby.system.home.

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.8/devguide/rdevdvlp22102.html#rdevdvlp22102

thanks,

bryan