> Well may be you won't have less ugly code, but at least it will be hidden ;-)
>
> I think the easiest way it to use you own PreparedStatement class. So you can do
> any special treatment or workaround in a centralized and unique place.

Hi JYL this is a very insightful and interesting solution, which I would not have thought of.  Is this as simple as creating my own class with the derby version as its superclass and then just overriding the method?  That seems too easy .. is there any catches or pitfalls you can give me a heads up on?  Thanks again for your help!