db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Raymond Kroeker <raykroe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [derby] custom metadata
Date Sun, 31 Jul 2011 17:52:52 GMT
Hi Patrick,

Sounds like you're using the existence of column names to determine
your application's modeling of table type.  Using the jdbc metadata
api you could easily determine the columns that exist then use that to
determine your table type:

http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/sql/Connection.html#getMetaData()
http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/sql/DatabaseMetaData.html#getColumns(java.lang.String,
java.lang.String, java.lang.String, java.lang.String)

Raymond

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 10:45, Patrick Meyer <meyerjp3@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an application that creates tables in a derby database. Some of the
> tables contain specific variables (i.e. predetermined column names) and,
> therefore, are of a certain "type". Some functions in the application only
> work with some "types" of tables. Is there a way to use metadata to identify
> which "type" of table a user has selected?
>
> Thank,
> Patrick

Raymond Kroeker