db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Matt Pouttu-Clarke <Matt.Pouttu-Cla...@icrossing.com>
Subject Re: Derby can be used for enterprise application?
Date Mon, 20 Jun 2011 17:19:02 GMT
Parallel query and multi-version read consistency are two things Oracle does
really well which are not present in Derby.  Oracle also has deep
integration with storage and backup systems and a full featured management
console.

MySQL you can deploy on EC2 with one click which is a definite plus.

Both MySQL and Oracle support standby databases and read replicas which help
with availability and performance across a lot of users.

The ultimate test is to try your workload and data size with Derby.  The
instant set-up features of Derby and ease of deployment and maintenance are
definite plusses.  I am running Derby with 300 MB of IP lookup data with no
problems.

For example, I found that embedded Derby has at least 10 times faster
lookups than out-of-process databases like Oracle or MySQL.  However, to use
embedded Derby like this you have to design your application to run a
separate embedded DB for each running process.  I can definitely see that if
you implemented manual data sharding you could scale embedded Derby out
indefinitely with better performance than either Oracle or MySQL.  Of course
this comes with the caveat that the application is well designed to use
indexes appropriately (as with any DB), and also with the assumption that
you don¹t need to query across shards.  You would also have to carefully
manage data backups and set up some replication to ensure you don¹t loose
data.  These largely automated features in MySQL and Oracle don¹t come with
Derby.

So anyway, hope this helps!

Cheers,
Matt

On 6/19/11 10:00 PM, "manjesh" <manjesh.h@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi I am j2ee developer ,i have worked with Oracle and MySQL, I liked Derby and
> have been using it for prototyping my j2ee applications.
> I am thinking to use the same for a job portal where data volume and
> application load will be relatively more when compared to simple web
> applications.
> I have some quick questions..
>
> can it be used for big enterprise applications?
> does data access and write operations gets slow down as volume of data
> increases over time?
> is there any limitations of derby...?

iCrossing Privileged and Confidential Information
This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential
and privileged information of iCrossing. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email