db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Derby can be used for enterprise application?
Date Mon, 20 Jun 2011 13:33:07 GMT
> can it be used for big enterprise applications?

Yes!

> does data access and write operations gets slow down as volume of data increases over
time?

Somewhat, but you can get tens of millions of rows into a well-designed Derby database
without any noticable slowdown.

> is there any limitations of derby...?

Yes. However, every big enterprise application I know of encounters
database system limitations, and deals with them using the standard
techniques of big enterprise applications: partition and replicate
your data, update it asynchronously, distribute it over multiple machines, etc.

As with all database applications, step 1 is your database design, and
the basic principles are both database-independent and well-established
over decades of experience. So long as you follow those, Derby works
well to surprisingly large scales.

bryan