db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Update from 10.7 to 10.8
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2011 20:28:14 GMT
On 6/13/2011 1:13 PM, rob wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry for the question,  i am new to derby, i have some databases
> created with derby 10.7, i would like to update to 10.8, my doubt is :
> can i always open a database created with 10.7 with the 10.8
> derby.jar?
>
> > From my tests seems ok, but just to be sure if someone more expert
> than me can confirm this.
>
> I see, and this is ok, that the opposite is not possible, i cannot
> open a database created with 10.8 with 10.7 because the format is
> different.
>
> So there is some automatic format's conversion when you open a 10.7
> database with 10.8?

Hi Rob,

When you connect to your 10.7 database with a newer version  e.g.
connect 'jdbc:derby:mydb' you are in what is called soft upgrade mode.
You can still run your existing application and go back to 10.7 but may
not be able to use some new  features.

If you connect with the upgrade=true attributed, e.g.
'jdbc:Derby:mydb;upgrade=true' , this is called hard upgrade. The
database format will be changed to the newer version, any usage
restrictions will be lifted  and you will not be able to go back to 10.7.

see:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/UpgradingTen

I am not sure if any of the 10.8 features specifically require hard
upgrade, but generally I encourage users to perform hard upgrade once
they have verified their application with the new version.    Moving
forward it is the most recent version that will get the most rigorous
upgrade testing.

Kathey