db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_BACKUP_DATABASE failing
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2011 16:43:35 GMT
There should be no size limits to the backup database command other than
those imposed by destination disk/filesystem.

Are you sure it is "hanging", rather than going very slow?  Basically is
anything showing up on the destination disk.

Is there anything in derby.log when you encounter the problem?

Are you trying to backup the database while work is being done in
the database?  If so, derby does have to wait until current tranactions
finish before it can get started.

I would not be surprised if backup done by derby is slower than one
would expect, it has not been optimized for very large databases.  It
is basic.  The expectation is that if the solution is not fast enough
then user can code their own backup and properly interact with derby
by using method outlined in the documentation using freeze or unfreeze:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.8/adminguide/cadminhubbkup98797.html
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.8/adminguide/cadminhubbkup75469.html