db-derby-user mailing list archives

From dag.wan...@oracle.com (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject Re: Inaccuracies in H2's claims: Autocounter/Sequqnce-Numbers
Date Wed, 25 May 2011 23:27:42 GMT
Hi Thomas,

thanks for updating the info on Derby!

Thomas Mueller <thomas.tom.mueller@gmail.com> writes:

> - Derby: at various conferences, for example JavaOne 2007 and Jazoon
> 2007, Derby included benchmark results for Derby and MySQL where Derby
> won, but strangely the benchmark source code is not available. I asked
> but I was told it's not possible to make it open source... hard to
> believe if you ask me. The presentations are available at
> http://home.online.no/~olmsan/publications/pres/

I believe the thrust of the slides in JavaOne/Jazoon 2007 was twofold:
a) Derby performance is comparable to other open source databases, and
b) no size fits all, viz. both PostGreSQL and MySQL was shown faster
than Derby in some use cases, Derby faster in others. So pretty benign
claims, if you ask me. No claim such as "database x is slow". I would
still encourage people to do their own benchmarking when making
decisions on performance.

Thanks,
Dag