db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Tim Wu <...@terracottatech.com>
Subject Re: Corrupted Derby DB
Date Fri, 27 May 2011 00:43:33 GMT
Hi Brett,

The test just kills the java process, but that is a good point about write cache. I'll add
mention of the nature of the crash test to the JIRA.

Thanks,
Tim Wu
On May 26, 2011, at 5:38 PM, Brett Wooldridge wrote:

> Tim,
>
> Just a question, was this 'crash test' a power-off test?  For example, turning off the
computer while Derby is running?

> If so, you should probably read this article:
>
> http://www.jasonbrome.com/blog/archives/2004/04/03/writecache_enabled.html
>
> TL;DR, anyone who expects complete durability (non-corruption even during power loss)
should disable the write-cache on their hard-disk.  There is no doubt this will cut the write
performance quite a bit.  Applications needing both complete durability and high-performance
should consider a controller with a battery-backed write-cache.