db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Mueller <thomas.tom.muel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Inaccuracies in H2's claims: Autocounter/Sequqnce-Numbers
Date Thu, 26 May 2011 04:26:41 GMT
Hi,

> Derby performance is comparable to other open source databases
> No claim such as "database x is slow".

But you claim Derby performance is similar to other databases. The
benchmark results were published at multiple large conferences, but
the benchmark source code is not available, making it impossible to
reproduce the results. This is not really scientific:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reproducibility "Reproducibility is one
of the main principles of the scientific method, and refers to the
ability of a test or experiment to be accurately reproduced, or
replicated, by someone else working independently."

I would really like to reproduce the results, to understand what you
have tested exactly, and to find out how fast H2 is in those tests.

> I would
> still encourage people to do their own benchmarking when making
> decisions on performance.

Me too :-)

Regards,
Thomas