db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject future of the Derby Eclipse plugins
Date Thu, 26 May 2011 14:40:51 GMT
Dear Eclipse users,

For the past six years, Derby releases have included two Eclipse
plugins: a core plugin and a ui/doc plugin. The Derby developers have
come to the conclusion that these plugin artifacts fall outside the
scope of our charter, which explictly excludes IDE and GUI work:
http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_charter.html#Database+Technology For
future releases, we would like to get out of the business of producing
these plugins. We plan to build them for one more maintenance release,
10.8.2: http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenEightTwoRelease After
that, we need to find some other way to support people who develop
Derby-powered applications with Eclipse.

We have two immediate questions for Eclipse users:

1) Does anyone use these plugins anymore?

2) Would someone in the user community be willing to build these plugins
for each Derby release and host them someplace else, perhaps at
http://marketplace.eclipse.org/ ?

Thanks,
-Rick