db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Date manipulation in Derby
Date Wed, 04 May 2011 18:47:31 GMT
On 5/4/11 10:38 AM, dag.wanvik@oracle.com wrote:
> Rick Hillegas<rick.hillegas@oracle.com>  writes:
>
>> I don't see an existing JIRA for this issue. Feel free to log one.
> Rick, do you know if there is a standard way of doing this (beyond the
> JDBC escape function)? I didn't find anything in the standard. It could
> be that this is one of those things that are not standardized and the
> presence of the JDBC escape is there to cover for vendors differing
> implementations of this. If so, we would be hestitant to add this unless
> most major vendors agreed on this syntax.
>
> Thank,
> Dag

Hi Dag,

It looks to me as though an arithmetic on datetime types is defined by
part 2 of the SQL Standard, section 6.30 (<datetime value expression>).
At first blush that arithmetic seems even more cumbersome than the JDBC
escape syntax which troubles Lukas.

Derby does support convenience functions which don't appear in the SQL
Standard. Mostly, the major vendors agree on the syntax for those
convenience functions. I agree that divergence across the major vendors
would be a problem for this proposal. I haven't studied what the major
vendors do here, though.

Thanks,
-Rick