db-derby-user mailing list archives

From <Malte.Kem...@de.equens.com>
Subject AW: Inaccuracies in H2's claims: Autocounter/Sequqnce-Numbers
Date Wed, 25 May 2011 08:56:54 GMT

May be the Article used an older version of derby. T's a pity that they don't say what version
were used for comparison.

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Rick Hillegas [mailto:rick.hillegas@oracle.com]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 24. Mai 2011 20:12
An: Derby Discussion
Betreff: Inaccuracies in H2's claims: Autocounter/Sequqnce-Numbers

There seem to a number of mis-statements on this page:

o The performance claim.

o The claim that Derby doesn't have an "Explain plan" feature.

o The claim that Derby doesn't support user-defined datatypes.

o The claim that Derby doesn't support sequences.

o The claim that Derby doesn't support limit/offset.

o The claim that Derby doesn't support case-insensitive columns.

On 5/24/11 10:02 AM, Tim Dudgeon wrote:
> It was not me who said Derby is slow. I'm using it in embedded mode
> all the time and performance is great.
> I was just pointing out that others are saying things that seem to be
> wrong, and some action might be wanted.
> Tim
> On 23/05/2011 17:00, Matt Pouttu-Clarke wrote:
>> Tim,
>> Does H2 allow multiple concurrent threads to update the database?
>> I'm not
>> sure it's fair to compare a single threaded database to a multi-threaded
>> database with a single threaded workload.
>> I have done benchmarks that show that Derby is much faster than H2
>> with a
>> multi-threaded workload in embedded mode.
>> Cheers,
>> Matt
>> On 5/21/11 3:56 AM, "Tim Dudgeon"<tdudgeon@informaticsmatters.com>
>> wrote:
>>> There are some other things here that might deserve some comment:
>>> http://www.h2database.com/html/features.html#comparison
>>> e.g. performance of embeded derby is slow!
>>> Tiim
>> iCrossing Privileged and Confidential Information
>> This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)
>> and may contain confidential and privileged information of iCrossing.
>> Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
>> prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
>> sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

View raw message