db-derby-user mailing list archives

From dag.wan...@oracle.com (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject Re: Reducing disk footprint with compression (gzip?)
Date Sat, 16 Apr 2011 13:36:41 GMT
BONNEFILLE Guilhem <guilhem.bonnefille@c-s.fr> writes:

> An other solution is to compress (gzip) old part of history as we
> never need to update them.
>
> Is it possible to do this with Derby?

Derby doesn't have any built-in compression facilities. You say you
don't perform updates (or deletes), so presumingly there are no holes in
your database files, so running compression wouldn't help[1].

Some ideas: Could you compress the lob contents before you insert them
into the database and uncompress on retrieval? Could you store the lobs
as compressed files and just let the database reference them? Did you
consider a compressing file system?

Thanks,
Dag

[1]