db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Brett Wooldridge <brett.wooldri...@gmail.com>
Subject BLOB streaming
Date Fri, 18 Feb 2011 02:57:55 GMT
Hi all,

I just came across this in the manual, and if accurate raises some concerns
for me:

For applications using the client driver, if the stream is stored in a
column of a type other than LONG VARCHAR or LONG VARCHAR FOR BIT DATA, the
entire stream must be able to fit into memory at one time. Streams stored in
LONG VARCHAR and LONG VARCHAR FOR BIT DATA columns do not have this
limitation.

This seems to imply that if I have a BLOB containing 1GB of data, and I'm
using the client driver, the result cannot be streamed?
Can this possibly be correct?  Given the apparent limit of VARCHAR of ~32K,
is there no way to stream large data to a client?

Brett