the more I am working through this issue, the more I get convinced that it's a Derby issue.
When the select statement is modified slightly (not using joining of tables on themselves, but rather using IN), then everything works without a hiccup:

SELECT
    P1.ID ,
    R1.description
    P1.BOOK
    P1.NOMINAL
    P1.NOMINAL * R1.Factor
FROM
    P_TABLE P1,
    R_TABLE R1
WHERE
    P1.IN_ID = R1.IN_ID  AND
    R1.IN_ID in (
      select
              R2.IN_ID
      from
              P_TABLE P2,
              R_TABLE R2
      where
              P2.IN_ID = R2.IN_ID AND
              P2.NOMINAL <> 0  AND
              R2.IType='X'
      GROUP BY R2.IN_ID
      HAVING COUNT(*) >1
    )

So, this leads me to believe that SELECT statements such as this causes a problem within Derby:

select
    *
from
    TABLE T1,