I'd like to chime in and say that we run such SELECT COUNT(*) queries all the time in Derby and have never encountered a problem.
Don't think that "AS" aliasing is necessary.

From: Chris Wilson <chris@aptivate.org>
To: Derby Discussion <derby-user@db.apache.org>
Date: 01/21/2011 01:07 PM
Subject: Re: Issue with COUNT function

Hi NBW,

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011, NBW wrote:

> SELECT COUNT(*) FROM (SELECT file.md5, instCollection.collectionId FROM
> file, collection leafCollection, collection instCollection WHERE
> (file.status=1 OR file.status=2) and file.collectionId =
> leafCollection.collectionId AND leafCollection.instanceCollectionId =
> instCollection.collectionId GROUP BY file.md5, instCollection.collectionId)
>
> That query under Oracle works fine. Under Derby I get the following error:
>
> [42X01][30000] Syntax error: Encountered "<EOF>" at line 1, column 313.
>
> If I run the query without the SELECT COUNT(*) it will run fine in Derby
> too, but I am trying to get the count :-)
>
> I feel like I must be missing something obvious here.

I think that every sub-SELECT must have a table alias in Derby, so add "AS
t" to the end of the query (after the closing parenthesis) and it might
work :)

Cheers, Chris.
--
Aptivate |
http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 760887

with company number 04980791.

Jefferies archives and monitors outgoing and incoming e-mail. The contents of this email, including any attachments, are confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed. If you are not the addressee of this email you may not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it in any form whatsoever. This email may be produced at the request of regulators or in connection with civil litigation. Jefferies accepts no liability for any errors or omissions arising as a result of transmission. Use by other than intended recipients is prohibited. In the United Kingdom, Jefferies operates as Jefferies International Limited; registered in England: no. 1978621; registered office: Vintners Place, 68 Upper Thames Street, London EC4V 3BJ. Jefferies International Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.