Chris,

Thanks for your reply. I added the 'AS t' as you suggested and now it works with Derby. The problem now is that using 'AS t' breaks running the query in Oracle.  The Derby reference guide doesn't mention the need for the table alias. I wonder if this is a bug.

-Noah

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Chris Wilson <chris@aptivate.org> wrote:
Hi NBW,

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011, NBW wrote:

> SELECT COUNT(*) FROM (SELECT file.md5, instCollection.collectionId FROM
> file, collection leafCollection, collection instCollection WHERE
> (file.status=1 OR file.status=2) and file.collectionId =
> leafCollection.collectionId AND leafCollection.instanceCollectionId =
> instCollection.collectionId GROUP BY file.md5, instCollection.collectionId)
>
> That query under Oracle works fine. Under Derby I get the following error:
>
> [42X01][30000] Syntax error: Encountered "<EOF>" at line 1, column 313.
>
> If I run the query without the SELECT COUNT(*) it will run fine in Derby
> too, but I am trying to get the count :-)
>
> I feel like I must be missing something obvious here.

I think that every sub-SELECT must have a table alias in Derby, so add "AS
t" to the end of the query (after the closing parenthesis) and it might
work :)

Cheers, Chris.
--
Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 760887
The Humanitarian Centre, Fenner's, Gresham Road, Cambridge CB1 2ES

with company number 04980791.