db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Trying to migrate to LDAP (but getting Error 08004)
Date Wed, 19 Jan 2011 06:03:51 GMT
Hi Thomas,

This is great progress!

It seems to me that you have identified several places where we could improve
the Derby documentation.

And your experience with the database properties versus system properties
seems unexpected to me; I think as you do that this feels like a flaw in Derby,
and your technique of using the database properties ought to have worked.

> : miniserver:10389 [Root exception is java.security.AccessControlException:
> access denied (java.net.SocketPermission miniserver resolve)]

This feels to me like a security policy configuration issue. Derby has
a rich ability to be configured for different security permissions. See
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.6/adminguide/tadminnetservbasic.html

I'm guessing, because I don't know a lot about the security configuration,
but I think that you may be able to locate a security policy which is controlling
the Derby server's behavior, and alter that security policy to grant the
appropriate SocketPermission to Derby:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.6/adminguide/tadminnetservcustom.html

In your particular example, "miniserver" is the name of your LDAP server, and
the Derby code was apparently denied the permission to resolve that DNS
name into an IP address.

I hope that you take the time to file some JIRA issues describing the areas
of documentation and of implementation that you think could be improved, and
I also encourage you to contribute as much of your hard-earned wisdom to the
Derby wiki as possible, so that others can benefit from it in the future.

thanks,

bryan