db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Derby : No suitable driver found for jdbc:derby:db;create=true
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2010 14:25:00 GMT
> reading the last link you posted, about classpath usage, I had some doubts
> about my server startup, so here is the entire command I run for the server:
>

> java -classpath :/home/user/app/lib/derbyrun.jar:/home/user/app/shared/
> -Djava.rmi.server.codebase=file:///home/user/app/shared/
> -Dtmp.impl.codebase=file:///home/user/app/shared/
> -Djava.security.policy=/home/user/app/server/tmp/setup.policy
> -Dtmp.classeserver=tmp.AuthServer
> -Dtmp.policy=/home/user/app/server/tmp/group.policy tmp.Setup

Try replacing 'tmp.Setup' at the end of this command with
'org.apache.derby.tools.ij'. Does the Derby IJ tool then start up and
run properly? Can you create and open a database, and create data in it?

Another useful class to run is 'org.apache.derby.tools.sysinfo'; when it runs,
it will print a useful report about the java environment that is running it.

If these run, then the classpath is working properly, as least for Derby's purposes.

But if you can't run the IJ tool using this java command, then we need to keep
working on this command until you can successfully run IJ with it, then we
can return to trying to run your full server with this command.

thanks,

bryan

P.S. Like Ron Rudy, I'm also unsure about the leading colon, I generally don't have that.