db-derby-user mailing list archives

From BeNdErR <bendertheoffender...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Derby: SQL ERROR -> Encountered "CASCADE" at line xyz
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2010 17:15:11 GMT

Bryan Pendleton-3 wrote:

> Derby hasn't implemented ON UPDATE CASCADE. Here's what Derby provides:
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.6/ref/rrefsqlj16357.html

I had a better look with google on this problem, and I found exactly what
you said.. Any suggestion to "avoid" this problem? I mean, I'd like to use
"update cascade" command, maybe you know a way out. If not, I'll accept that
:D

Bryan Pendleton-3 wrote:

> I'm not sure. That problem is really odd. I think that Kristian's theory
> about classloaders is the most likely, as application servers and RMI
> runtimes
> tend to provide really finicky class loading behaviors. Since you've
> demonstrated
> that the simple "java -classpath ..." command can successfully load and
> run
> Derby, you've obviously got a valid copy of the Derby jar files, and
> you've
> obviously set the classpath correctly to point at those jars, which
> normally
> is all you need to do.
>
> So something in your server code must be interfering with the
> Class.forName()
> behavior, which as I noted above is not uncommon with complex server
> runtimes.
>
> For example, some application servers have security constraints in their
> class loading behaviors, and won't allow application code to load
> arbitrary
> libraries without configuring the server's security system to allow the
> library loading.
>
> Class.forName() is a base JDK call, not a Derby call, so I'm afraid
> that you're going to need to seek help from your server provider. Did you
> write this server code yourself, or is it a well-known server of some
> type?
>
> The only other things I can think to try are:
> 1) see if your JDK has any additional diagnostic flags you can run; for
> example I think the Sun JDK provides a "java -verbose:class" flag that
> might give you more clues about the class-loading activity.
> 2) see if you can find a powerful Java debugger, and run your server under
> the Java debugger, and break at the point where you're about to do the
> Class.forName call, and see if your debugger has any tools to diagnose the
> ClassNotFoundException; for example I think you can load the Sun JDK
> source.zip
> for the Sun Java runtime sources, and possibly your debugger will then
> allow
> you to step through the Class.forName call and see if you can spot why
> it's failing.
>
> thanks,
>
> bryan

Thanks for your reply here. The message pending seems to be accepted in the
other post. I'm going to reply there, just to avoid confusions about wrong
argument.

Thanks again (the link to the other post is this
http://old.nabble.com/Derby-%3A-No-suitable-driver-found-for-jdbc%3Aderby%3Adb-create%3Dtrue-td30335341.html)