db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: NFS and Derby
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2010 01:21:44 GMT
On 11/11/2010 16:59, Kathey Marsden wrote:
> On 11/11/2010 11:27 AM, Mike Matrigali wrote:
> [snip good summary of support limitations]
>> I did not see anyway that a java program could find out if the
>> required syncing was being enforced.
>>
> Would it be reasonable to request such an API call in some future java
> version or would it just simply be impossible to implement?

Actually there already is, the FileDescriptor.sync() call has this in
its defined contract:

SyncFailedException - Thrown when the buffers cannot be flushed, or
because the system cannot guarantee that all the buffers have been
synchronized with physical media.

The problem maybe that the JVMs just do not implement this according to
the spec. It also maybe true that a VM has no way of knowing if it could
guarantee a sync, thus in reality it would throw SyncFailedException all
the time ...

Dan.