db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject NFS and Derby
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2010 15:56:25 GMT
I have always told users they have to have their databases on a local
disk to ensure data integrity and that  a system crash for an NFS
mounted database could cause fatal corruption, but had a user this
morning take me to task on this and ask me to explain exactly why.  I
gave my general response about not being able to guarantee a sync to
disk over the network, but want to have a more authoritative reference
for why  you cannot count on an NFS mounted disk although I did find
several places where the sync option "favors data integrity" which
certainly doesn't sound like a guarantee.  Does anyone know a good
general reference I can use on this topic to support my "you gotta use a
local disk" mantra.

Also I think our documentation on this topic should be a bit stronger.
Currently we just say it may not work and probably should be clearer
that data corruption could occur.  I will file an issue to beef up the
language based on the conversation in this thread.

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.5/devguide/cdevdvlp40350.html

Thanks

Kathey