db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Trevor Carpenter <trevor.carpen...@ed.ac.uk>
Subject Re: I cannot link to Derby from a java program in ECLIPSE, and I cannot find out why
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2010 18:47:29 GMT
Hi Timothy

Reading your email (possibly incorrectly?) but it seems that you only
have difficulty when you execute the program?

it may be to do with the classpath and the JVM not being able to find
the required jars?

see here for more info on the class path (esp. the gotchas section):
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/classpath.html

I am not an eclipse user but other IDEs allow control over the class
path and packaged libs etc.

Hope that helps

Trevor

Quoting Timothy Allen <Timothy_Allen@uk.ibm.com>:

> Hello,
>
> I wonder if you can help me.
>
> 1/
> I link to Derby using an embedded driver using Eclipse using database
> connections, I can see the data in the databases
>
> 2/
> I link to Derby using the ij tool
>

> 3/
> I simply cannot get my java program to read a db at all
>
> I have tried both of  the commands below.
>

> //private static String dbURL = "jdbc:derby://localhost
> :1527/myDB;create=true;user=me;password=mine";
>    private static String dbURL = "jdbc:derby:myDB;create=true;"
> ;
>

> //Class.forName("org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver").newInstance();
>             Class.forName("org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver"
> ).newInstance();
>

> The only result I get is below. Please, what is wrong ? This seems
> impossible to solve!
>
> Thanks
>

> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver
>         at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
>         at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
>         at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
>         at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)
>         at myapp.Restaurants.createConnection(Restaurants.java:34)
>         at myapp.Restaurants.main(Restaurants.java:23)
>         at myapp.Restaurants.insertRestaurants(Restaurants.java:51)
>         at myapp.Restaurants.main(Restaurants.java:24)
>

> Timothy Allen, Accelerated Value Leader
> World Wide IBM Software Accelerated Value Program
> Phone: + 44 (0)2088 443191
> Internal Phone: 363191
> Mobile:0787 2816836
> Timothy_Allen@uk.ibm.com
> Visit IBM Software Accelerated Value Online
>

> Unless stated otherwise above:
> 741598.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.