db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Phil" <ph...@vodafone.ie>
Subject Limiting remote connections to specific users?
Date Tue, 16 Nov 2010 12:23:40 GMT

Hi,

I have an application that uses derby in embedded mode. We plan to start
up the network daemon by setting derby.drda.startNetworkServer=true in
the derby.properties file as this will allow us to remotely connect to
the application database without disrupting the running application (for
support purposes).

In order to address security concerns, I would like to define a new user
with limited rights and restrict network connections only to that user
(analagous to how sshd can deny root logins).

I assume that I can define a new role (remotesupportuser for example)
with the appropriate permissions and then grant this role to specific
users. Is there a way that I can configure the derby network server to
accept remote connections only from users with the remotesupportuser
role? Alternatively, is there a way that I can simply deny remote
connections from SA?

Thanks,
Phil