db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <knut.hat...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: AW: does Derby honor the statement.setQueryTimeout(int) ?
Date Wed, 20 Oct 2010 18:03:53 GMT
Kristian Waagan <kristian.waagan@oracle.com> writes:

>  On 20.10.10 17:38, Florin.Herinean@sungard.com wrote:
>> Hi Kristian,
>>
>> Changing of the global timeout is not an option, since I need to have most of the
statements behave normally (to wait as long as neccessary to succeed) and just a few statements
with a "fail fast" behavior.

> I don't know if it is an option, but maybe it is possible to change
> the lock timeout value (and possibly the deadlock timeout) if the
> query timeout is smaller than the lock timeout value.
> Is doing this acceptable in principle?
> Does anyone know that piece of the code well enough to say if that's a
> viable improvement?

Hi Kristian,

I think this is possible. The lock manager could retrieve information
about the query timeout from the statement context, and then if
necessary use that to shorten the lock timeout. It sounds like a bug
that we don't already do that.

Florin, please file a bug report in JIRA so that we can keep track of
this problem.

Thanks,

--
Knut Anders