db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Nadav Hoze <Nadav.H...@dbMotion.com>
Subject RE: Starting server in embedded mode from different JVMs reset connection.
Date Mon, 25 Oct 2010 07:03:02 GMT
Brian, thanks
You explained it perfectly and it works now :).

Used option 2 :).

Thanks,

Nadav Hoze
Senior Software Engineer
dbMotion Ltd.
Direct: +972-9-7699000
Extension number: 9037
Mobile: 972-54-4821606
E-mail: nadav.hoze@dbMotion.com

dbMotion's SOA-based health interoperability and intelligence solution enables healthcare
organizations and health information exchanges (HIEs) to meaningfully integrate and leverage
their information assets, driving improvements in the quality and efficiency of patient care.
Visit dbMotion at www.dbmotion.com.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bryan Pendleton [mailto:bpendleton.derby@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2010 7:39 PM
To: Derby Discussion
Subject: Re: Starting server in embedded mode from different JVMs reset connection.

> I need to support using two or more applications that can reference /MY_DB/.
>
> The Embedded Server Mode should support this:

It is fine to have two or more applications accessing the same DB.

But you need to have exactly one network server.

So, you have two choices:

1) Start a single network server, separately, apart from any of your applications.
Then, each application uses the client driver to access the database.

or

2) Start a single "embedded server", as you have done. But then EVERY OTHER
application that you start uses the client driver to access the database.

In my experience, having a separate Network Server is simpler to understand
and manage. It is clear which process is doing what, and it is simpler to
understand how to start up and shut down the processes. You can arrange to
start the Network Server automatically, using the facilities that your
operating system provides.

The Derby admin guide at http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.6/adminguide/
provides a lot of information about how to organize a client-server application.

thanks,

bryan

use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Please note that any disclosure,
copying or distribution of the content of this information is strictly forbidden. If you have
received this email message in error please notify its sender and then delete it from your
files.